10 quotes from the Alcoholics Anonymous Big Book!
1. “Those events that once made me feel ashamed and disgraced now allow me to share with others how to become a useful member of the human race.” p.492
2. “Many of us felt that we had plenty of character. There was a tremendous urge to cease forever. Yet we found it impossible. This is the baffling feature of alcoholism as we know it – this utter inability to leave it alone, no matter how great the necessity or the wish.” p.34
3. “Men and women drink essentially because they like the effect produced by alcohol. The sensation is so elusive that, while they admit it is injurious, they cannot after a time differentiate the true from the false. To them, their alcoholic life seems the only normal one.” p.xxvii
4. “The idea that somehow, someday he will control and enjoy his drinking is the great obsession of every abnormal drinker.” p.30
5. “Our liquor was but a symptom. So we had to get down to causes and conditions.” p.64
6. “When I am disturbed, it is because I find some person, place, or situation – some fact of my life – unacceptable to me, and I can find no serenity until I accept that person, place, thing, or situation as being exactly the way it is supposed to be at this moment.” p.417
7. “I listened to their stories and found so many areas where we overlapped – not all the deeds, but the feelings of remorse and hopelessness. I learned that alcoholism isn’t a sin, it’s a disease.” p.344
8. “We talked of intolerance, while we were intolerant ourselves. We missed the reality and the beauty of the forest because we were diverted by the ugliness of some of its trees.” p.50
9. “Adversity truly introduces us to ourselves.” p.530
10. “When I am willing to do the right thing I am rewarded with an inner peace no amount of liquor could ever provide. When I am unwilling to do the right thing, I become restless, irritable, and discontent. It is always my choice.” p.317
Please enter your information below if you have any questions or you want to know about Alcoholics Anonymous. Please tell us how we can be of service!
First...Plant Five Rows of P's:
Presence, Promptness, Preparation, Perseverance, and Purity.
Next Plant Three Rows of Squash;
Squash gossip, Squash criticism, Squash indifference.
Then Five Rows of Lettuce;
Let us be faithful to duty;
Let us be unselfish and loyal;
Let us be true to our own obligations;
Let us obey rules and regulations;
Let us love one another.
No Garden Is Complete Without Turnips;
Turn up for meetings;
Turn up with a smile
Turn up with new ideas;
Turn up with determination to make everything count for something good and worth while.
Best Wishes for a Happy Harvest!
Uncle Dick (Willard Richardson friend of AA)
Mailing Address for Alcoholics Anonymous Donations
Alcoholics Anonymous District 29
15849 High Country Lane
Baker City, OR 97814
All personal donations are tax deductable.
Alcoholics Anonymous, AA meetings La Grande, Elgin, Union, Enterprise, Joseph, Cove, Baker City, North Powder, Oregon.
ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS AREA 58-DISTRICT 29
EASTERN OREGON, BAKER, UNION, and WALLOWA COUNTIES
Wolf Creek Reservoir